Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Pat's Convention Note #8 of 100 things I learned from attending FIVE LITERARY CONFERENCES in 2014

#8. If you’ve set up a Pinterest account, raise your hands. Now, if you didn’t chose a business Pinterest account, dropped them. I had an account for years and had no idea what I was doing except to upload jpegs of my books. Well, here’s the scoop I learned about the site at another workshop at RWA: Pinterest is growing faster than Twitter; it has about 70 million users; most are women who spend a lot of money; and we can write, publish and sell from Pinterest. Wow. What a newsflash! The good news is you can convert your personal account into a business one. Go to business.pinterest.com. Once you do that, the company will email you daily easy step-by-step tips on what to do. The first thing I did was to add the PinIt button to my website and on my book covers.
Previously, I had my covers linked to Amazon, but I changed that and pinned my covers directly from my website. I did this so that anyone who repins my covers will know exactly where the image came from. They can click on my website and find out more, not only about my books, but me.
Since a picture is worth a thousand words, find art work, images and sketches that tell your story. The speaker suggested creating a new board for each book. Okay, I experienced with only one book: Crowning Glory. It was fun searching for images I thought would depict my characters: a woman released from prison and a praying man. See my first attempt creating a storyboard at http://www.pinterest.com/patsimmonsbooks/christian-romance-crowning-glory/
One exciting suggestion was for authors of the same genre to have a PinIt party. You could also do it with your readers on Pinterest. As you can see, the possibilities for promotions are endless. Happy pinning!

Next up is #9. FREE and pre-orders. I heard these phrases at more than one conference, so I investigated. And don’t miss #10. Google + and why we should +1 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment